SOCIAL MEDIA by the NUMBERS
Stats, demographics & fun facts
- Facebook users are 43% female and 57% male – I KNOW, surprised me too!
- Of all the people on the internet 83% of woman and 75% of men use Facebook – WHOA!
- On average, a Facebook user has about 155 friends.
- 62% of online Seniors aged 65+ are on Facebook and 72% are between age 50-64.
- 82% of collage graduates are on Facebook.
- 72% of on-line users on Facebook make more than 75K a year.
- 85% of Facebook’s Daily Active Users Come from Outside the US/Canada.
- The largest population on Facebook is from India with over 270 million users followed by 190 million in the US.
- 96% of active Facebook users are accessing from their cell phones.
Facebook has over 5 million advertisers (since 2017). 93% of those advertisers use the service regularly. Facebook’s potential advertising reach is over 1.9 billon.
Important fact: Images account for 70-90% of an ads success rate! So make sure your photos are ON POINT!
Facebook accounts for over 42% of social media activity and 5 billion comments are made monthly. The Facebook “like” button has been pressed over 1.13 TRILLION times!
Facebook gets over 8 billion video views each DAY!
350 million photos are uploaded daily.
Facebook is available in 101 different languages.
On average, we spend about 35 mns on Facebook each day. (I don’t think I was in this study, lol).
TIP: 80% of Facebook video viewers say they find it annoying when a video auto-plays sound. They said “it gives a bad impression of your brand”. Something to keep in mind.
There are over 120 million FAKE profiles on Facebook.
Founded on: October, 2010
CEO: Kevin Systrom
- 52% of Instagram users are female and 42% are male (I know…that doesn’t add up to 100, but I’m trusting the stats provided by IG),
- 110 million users are from the US.
- 37% of US adults use Instagram and the US has the most active users.
- 32% of all internet users are on Instagram
- 72% of teens use Instagram
- 31% of internet users between the ages of 18 and 24 use Instagram and 32% of internet users between the ages of 25 and 34 use Instagram.
- 130 million Instagram accounts tap on a shopping post to learn more about products every month.
- An estimated 71% of US businesses are on Instagram in 2018.
- Instagram Now Has More Than 2 Million Monthly Advertisers and 25 Million Business Profiles.
- There are 500,000 active influencers on Instagram.
- Instagram’s revenue is expected to reach $14 billion dollars.
- 1/3 of the most viewed stories are from businesses.
- The potential reach of advertising on Instagram is 802 million.
Instagram is the 6th most popular social media site. I KNOW….I was surprised too cause it’s easily in my top 3. The most liked photo on Instagram is a photo of an egg with 53.9 million likes. YEP, that’s right, click and take a look.
More than 50 billion photos have been uploated to Instagram so far and posts with a location get 79% more engagement.
Get this – 7 out of 10 hashtags on Instagram are branded!
60% of people say they discover new products on Instagram.
70% of shopping enthusiasts turn to Instagram for product discovery.
Photos With Faces Get 38% More Likes and Posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6% more engagement.
Instagram Users Engage More on Weekdays with Tuesday and Thursday showing most engagement and the IGTV app has 4.2 million installs worldwide.
Founded on: March, 2010
CEO: Ben Silbermann
Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
- 70% of pinners are female
- 40% of New Signups are Men; 60% New Signups are Women.
- Men account for only 7% of total pins on Pinterest.
- 50%+ Pinners live outside the US.
- 34% of Users aged 18-29 in the US uses Pinterest.
- 42% US women adults who uses Pinterest.
- 80% of US mothers who use the internet uses Pinterest.
- Millennials use Pinterest as much as Instagram.
- The median age of a Pinterest user is 40, however, the majority of active pinners are below 40.
- 144.5 million – Number of people that Pinterest reports can be reached with adverts on Pinterest
- 28% of all US social media users are Pinterest users.
There are over 75 billion ideas on Pinterest and 40% of Pinners Have a Household Income of $100k+, 87% of Pinners have purchased a product because of Pinterest.
72% of Pinners use Pinterest to decide what to buy offline and Pinterest said 85% of their users access Pinterest via a mobile device.
1 of 2 Millennials Uses Pinterest Every Month.
Over 5% off all referral traffic to websites comes from Pinterest!
Two-thirds of pins represent brands and products.
Food & Drink & Technology are the most popular categories for men.
Top Category in the US is Art, Art Supplies & Hobbies.
Get cookin: There are more than 1.7 billion recipe Pins.
Every day nearly 2M people Pin product rich Pins.
Check this out: 50% Have Made a Purchase After Seeing a Promoted Pin and Promoted Pins are repinned an average of 11 times per advertisement.
Average time spent on Pinterest per visit is 14.2 minutes.
64% Pinterest users described the platform as a place to find ideas, products or services they can trust.
47% Social media users saw Pinterest as the platform for discovering and shopping for products.
Average number of monthly searches on Pinterest is 2 billion.
84% Pinners use Pinterest to decide what to buy.